Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Featuring Kate!

My favorite pictures of Kate are symbolic of who she is: Sitting in a large chair with her Mother in the corner of their living room, talking quietly, like they are adult best friends and sitting in the other corner of their living room on her Daddy's lap resting her head on his chest, listening to the adults talk. She carries the spirit of my mother, her namesake, a combination of confidence and vulnerability. A child who is on the one hand a little adult and on the other a fun-loving, laughing child. When she was younger she was afraid of vacuums and now she can climb huge rocks. I love her ability to pretend, caught up in a world of her own imagination. I love her hiding when we come to visit, and then her tight, warm hugs when she finally reveals herself. She is the kind of child that causes people to exclaim, "What a beautiful child!" And yet, her true beauty is her spirit of love, loyalty and compassion for others. She is not afraid to be alone, in fact, prefers it at times, but she loves to be with other people, children or adults and fits well in the company of many, able to hold on to who she is despite the activities around her. I feel it's a privilege that Kate lets me into her life. I truly adore her.

No comments: