Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Things I learned growing up #2

#2. Never criticize someone unless you have walked in their shoes for a mile.
This was mostly learned from Grandma Pyfer(Josie). She was the most accepting person I knew. I can't think of her criticizing anyone. When I was a teenager I loved to be with her. I felt so loved and I could share stuff with her. She was a good listener.
They say that Big Grandma (Mazie) was even more wonderful in this way. Everyone was sitting around one day talking bad about some man. After sitting silently for quite some time, when there was a lull in the gossip, she said, "Well, he sure can fiddle."
It's a blessed heritage I received with this teaching, but I have gotten away from it. The temptation to speak ill of someone when I'm frustrated with him/her is one of my greatest temptations. Putting them down justifies my own anger. But, always in the background of my conscience I have that voice of Grandmas Past, "Never criticize someone unless you've walked in their shoes for a mile." And, of course, Jesus has to chime right in with them telling me to love my enemies and do good to those who hurt you. I hate that! Actually, in the end, I love it. My newest example in this is Matt who gets most angry when service people are not treated kindly. Like waitresses, clerks, etc. "Get behind their eyes," he says, "Put yourself in their shoes." So maybe some of this old stuff is being passed down. I can only hope.

No comments: