Tuesday, March 31, 2009

True Love

Today I was blessed to get to go skiing with Gayle and Brenda at Discovery which is near Anaconda. (24 inches of fresh snow!) We drove in Gayle's new truck that has a phone built in. Since it was on speaker we all heard all conversations.
Brenda wanted us to drop her off at the high school in Anaconda because Erica was performing there with groups from other towns. Gayle decided he'd like to send me home with the truck (I didn't want to stay as I was tired) so began a few calls to see if Dan was coming, when, and if Kathryn wanted to come over with him. At first Kathryn said she was going to stay home. Then Gayle said, "I thought if you were coming over I'd just stay with Brenda and we could all ride home together. And if you don't want to come I'll just come on home." She said, "OK, I'll come over with Dan if he hasn't left." I don't think she really wanted to go. I think she wanted to stay home. But I could tell Gayle wanted to stay with Brenda but wanted Kathryn with him. But he didn't put pressure on her to come. His voice was gentle and open to her decision. I thought about how, over the years it's easy to read our spouses. It can be a blessing or we can use it for ill. Today, Kathryn used it for a blessing. She just knew it was important for her to go. Many times she chooses to stay home but today she heard the tone of his voice and chose to do what would make him happy. It was a gift to him, I think. But it was also a gift to her that he wanted her presence. Those kinds of "giftings" are what makes love grow. True love gives, hopes for what is best for the other person, sacrifices sometimes for the good of the other. I'm thankful that Terry has that kind of love for me. In so many different ways on a daily basis he gives, sacrifices so I can be happy. He learned it from his parents who had that kind of love. I think when Jesus talked about the Kingdom of God being like a seed planted He was talking about that kind of true love.

No comments: