Saturday, March 14, 2009

Peace, Be Still

The most recent section of the Community of Christ's Doctrine and Covenants has one section that I loved from the minute I heard it. "Jesus Christ, the embodiment of God's shalom, invites all people to come and receive God's peace in the midst of the difficult questions and struggles of life. Follow Christ in the way that leads to God's peace and discover the blessings of all of the dimensions of salvation." (163:2a) I love the idea of going home to Christ someday (hopefully later than sooner) but, in my life I have been saved so much, so often, sometimes every hour by the Spirit of Christ that is so alive to me in my life. I could share so many testimonies of how that has happened. Like this week. I will ask no pity since I just came off of a week of vacation in DC that was wonderful, fun and inspiring. Nevertheless, coming home after a vacation has it's own challenges. Among those was the usual preps for Bible study, Peacemakers, and being in charge on Sunday. On top of those things I knew I would have Kate for a few days and Susan was going to spend the week with me. All of these things I love. But it was a bit of an overload, especially when we decided to take Kate and go to Missoula so Susan could see Diane. We invited Dad too and left Thursday after peacemakers and came home Friday afternoon. OK, so it's all my decision. And I love to be with Kate, Susan, Dad, Diane, Jamie's family, Matt and Tasha. I love peacemakers and being with the kids. But one morning when I woke early to work on peacemakers I could not get my mind calmed. All of the "what if's" were looming large in my mind! I tried reading my devotions, the Bible, praying, sitting still... Nothing worked. I only became more and more stressed. I couldn't even focus on the task immediately at hand. Finally, "Lord, I need your help. Give me a short scripture that I can repeat in my head when I begin to obsess!" The theme for that day's peacemakers was, "The Storms of Life." I began again to try to put together my part in it. Almost immediately the words came to me that Jesus used to rebuke the storm, "Peace, Be Still!." Imagine... the words He used to rebuke the storms of His life! And just as immediately I was at peace and still. You cannot imagine the peace and beauty of the 2 days that followed. I used those words often. Why am I amazed? Doesn't God promise us that peace? One of the "dimensions of salvation." Yes, I think being saved someday into the Kingdom of Heaven will be the very best. But being "saved" today from myself is very amazing also. Thank you Jesus!

No comments: