Sunday, February 22, 2009

from Gayle

From Gayle I would steal his ability to see what needs done and do it, as in GET IT DONE! The number of things he has accomplished in his lifetime is phenominal! In Whitehall he has caused at least 4 homes to be built with Habitat For Humanity; got the library built and rebuilt; caused a skateboard park to be built; built many houses and buildings for his own and the benefit of others like his racketball court, storage building, rental properties, barns, 2 assisted living places; ranch barns and buildings, probably other things I don't know of. He served on the school board, standing up for some major changes despite it costing him 1/3 of his business at the time. He raised a wonderful family and is tender and loving to his wife. He's a great grandfather. I'm sure I'm missing alot. As I write this I am thinking that I don't love him because of all these things. Here's why I love him:
When I was little he was the one my siblings and I looked to. He was the first one we knew who went to college, married a church girl (and a lovely one at that), lead us spiritually, encouraged us to improve our lives, marry the right people, go to college, get good grades. Others tried to do that but he showed us the way. Because of he and Kathryn we saw a path we could follow and do well. When he had kids I loved the way he was gentle, firm and consistent with them. I loved the way he and Kathryn were directional. They knew what was right and they used discipline and perserverence to get there.
I love the way he has always been there for me. I'm always intimidated by him and yet when I need support I know I can count on him. He has a way of making me believe I can do better. Like one time we were moving bales and I told him I had trouble with my back. He said, "I decided I didn't want to have a bad back so I just started to take care of it and not baby it." When he said that I knew I wasn't being completely honest with myself and that I could do better. So I began to exercise my back and to eat less and try to take care of it.
I am also remembering times when I went to him when I was struggling with my family or with depression or with health concerns. While he comes off as kind of hard hearted on the surface, I never once went to him when he didn't take time to sit and listen and give me loving and kind, yet direct and honest advise.
I have not always agreed with him. I sometimes think he is inappropriate. But there are few people in my life who have impacted my life in such profound ways.
From him I would take his ability to be honest, firm, loving, kind, directional, and faithful. I love him deeply. I look to him for strength, wisdom and support.

2 comments:

Justina Sharp said...

I really enjoy reading your posts. They always speak to me. I love your candor and thoughtfulness. I hope we can see everyone soon.

Terra said...

I admire Gayle too and have always looked to him as a good example for me. I feel loved by him and am grateful for his kindness to me and my family.