Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Gospel

She was - well, seemed to me to be delusional.  She was a religious fanatic, would come to her son's house, bang on the door in the night and feel offended that they would not let her in. Anytime, day or night she would come and tell them they had to follow Jesus or they would go to hell.  She constantly badgered them, saying in appropriate things.  She was disrespectful of their wishes and ignored the boundaries they tried to set for their home.  They refused to let her be with their children for fear of what she would do or say.  I watched Dr.Phil, angry at the image of a Christian she portrayed.  Yet I saw a piece of myself in her.  Not in the way I act but in the way I fear.  Not about my children going to hell but about my desires for them in other ways.  I was ready for Dr. Phil to blast her.  But he didn't.  He treated her lovingly, kindly.  He saw in her what I was not seeing.  He said, "I'm about telling the truth. All this about your fears about your children's salvation is not really about them but about you.  You do not value yourself.  You are afraid they will not value you.  You are afraid they will leave you and the actions you are taking are causing the very thing you fear."  I watched and I cried.  I had great compassion for her.  So did her son.  They all saw it and so did she.  She thanked him for helping her to see the truth. As I watched, I remembered where my value comes from.  It is intrinsic to a God who parents us all.  I am God's daughter.  God sees me just as I am.  God loves me and that truth will set me free.

No comments: