Saturday, January 26, 2013

Returning

In returning and rest shall be your salvation. Isaiah

Returning. For 17 years I was away from the small Ranch that was home to my 8 siblings, my parents and myself. It is a beautiful little ranch nestled in a small valley. Driving along the country road when almost home you see the hills above the ranch where my oldest brother watched sheep some summers, where we hunt for deer and elk, where we hike or drive in our truck until we are high enough to look over the picturescue Jefferson valley. I could only return to that home once or twice a year. The 1300 mile drive ended as I came over a little rise and looked down onto home. It was a humble home, across a creek from my fraternal grandparents house. Our 3 bedroom, one bath, one level home was for 11 people but the anticipation that rose within me as I got closer was exciting and tremendous. I found rest in that home, a rest that came from knowing that they were as excited to see me as I was them. It was there that i would find hugs,kisses, laughter, my favorite foods, small children sitting on my lap, saying funny and clever words, visits with my Mother about life, prayers and faith. Returning. Terry used to say if he didn't get me home twice a year he couldn't live with me. In some sense, it was my salvation. It is hard to believe that repentance (the word other versions of the Bible use for returning) should be like that. A place where I will feel safe, joy, loved, welcomed, where I would laugh, listen and feel at peace. A place of rest and joy beyond description. A place that would save me.

2 comments:

Carla J said...

This is beautiful Carol Ann. Thank you. I also love those hills for all the Christmas trees we've got there, we love to take our friends and our kids and their friends there in December. The view is spectacular and we get to share some of our love for the ranch. What a place!

Deb said...

You have captured true emotion in this small writing. If only everyone had a place like the ranch.