Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Important

I am thinking about a phrase I heard when I was trying to do my best with 4 little ones. I read somewhere, "Put aside urgent things and do important things." My first thought was, "You've got to be kidding!" I was probably on my way to rescue one of my little ones from getting burned by the stove or something that urgent! Or maybe I just thought being to church on time was urgent. (ridiculous!) That phrase has come back to stop me so many times. Important. What is important?
Nancy Sacry would say important is taking time to give you a cup of tea even when she is late for an appointment. I believe no matter when I stopped in her home she would take time for me. I have trusted that on more than one occasion. She has not let me down.
Mom would say there is always time to play a game of cards with one of her children or grandchildren or Terry and I. And she can do it with laughter and a light heart.
Grandma Pyfer said by her actions that important was sitting with an open and accepting attitude, listening, no matter what was being shared or who was sharing it.
To Grandma Cora important was taking time to visit the "old" people in town. This consumed so much of her time when she was 80-96 years old.
For me, I began to realize it was more important to let a dirty shirt stay on my child if disturbing that child to change a shirt showed I cared more about her or him than the people I was trying to impress. ( I still can't leave a dirty face! For me clean faces are important!)
I don't know how young mothers and fathers decide what is important when they both work, both need time to themselves, both need quality time with each of their children and their spouse, both want to give to their church, community, other relatives. It's a daunting thought. But I think some are truly trying and I take my hat off to them. That's so important!

No comments: