Wednesday, December 12, 2007

David says in the Psalms (somewhere), “I was young and now I am old and I have not seen the righteous forsaken.” Lately, I have been feeling old. I don’t really claim to be righteous except through Christ’s blood, but I can say, like David, that I have never been forsaken.
This morning I am remembering a time that was such a spiritually high time for me in my life. For Terry’s internship we moved to a little duplex outside of Jefferson City, Missouri. I was pregnant with Jamie and it was the year Matt started kindergarten. Terry was seldom home. He seldom had any time off, working 12-14 hour days, though I do remember him going to church with me some. We were blessed with a marvelous church family. Some spiritual “giants” went to that church, very strong in faith and people who were consistently praying, studying scripture and serving others through community and church. It was a pleasure every time we went. I remember crying a lot in that church maybe because I felt the freedom to cry because people were so supportive. I sometimes crave being there again.
This morning I remember especially one time when I felt lead all week to study in Ephesians, the section on the armor of God, “Finally brothers, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power. Put on the whole armor of God, so that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For our struggle is not against enemies of blood and flesh but against the rulers, against the authorities against the cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, so that you will be able to withstand on that evil day, and having done everything to stand firm. Stand therefore, and fasten the belt of truth around your waist, and put on the breastplate of righteousness. As shoes for your feet put on whatever will make you ready to proclaim the gospel of peace. With all of these take the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Pray in the Spirit at all times in every prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert and always persevere in supplication for all the saints…”6:10-18
It was a beautiful week studying this scripture. I remember especially being drawn to the part about the flaming arrows of the evil one because I felt like that was happening to me through negative thoughts. Each time I had a bad thought I would think of a shield of faith going up to block it.
But the great part of that week was on Sunday morning when the minister for the week (don’t remember his name) stood and said he had been praying for us this week. He believed that those who came were brought by God. His message this week was on the scripture on the Armour of God from Ephesians. This was before we used the lectionary or had any communication to direct us to these scriptures. I had simply been lead through the Spirit as a result of his prayers for me and others. It was a powerful testimony to me during a time when I needed that help of God’s knowledge of my situation and my needs. I sat bathed in the warmth of that Spirit, praising and thanking God.

No comments: