Monday, December 10, 2007

Convicted

I'm reading a book called Love and Respect. It's a marriage book and reminds me often to be more respectful of Terry. It's a pretty convicting book and today it reminded me of another part of my time when Matt and Nathan were small. Susan was the only one I talked to much during those first 2 years of med school. She was busy with her little ones too though so mostly it was over the phone. Once we tried to go out together and both Nathan and Bryan screamed at the top of their lungs as we tried to talk over them. Finally we just both burst out laughing. It was not fullfilling! One particular day I was really frustrated with Terry. I started sharing my frustrations with Susan on the phone. Every time I would say something negative she would share with me something from Terry's perspectrive. Finally I just hung up on her! But as I stomped around the house angry now at Susan as well as Terry her words began to slowly seep into my brain. I remembered how Grandma Pyfer used to tell me not to criticize someone unless I had walked in their shoes a mile. By the time Terry came home I had a new perspective. I think Sisters are the best gift in the world. Husbands too.

No comments: