Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Very Life of Life

I woke this morning to the feel of your kiss on my cheek when you left for your men's group. I lay still to enjoy it's memory. A part of our routine. The kiss, then you lock the door and leave. I laid there and thought about those kind of habits...packing a lunch and meeting at Dairy Queen at noon during our school years, listening to Paul Harvey New and Comments; walking hand in hand, praying before a meal holding hands around the table; on your shoulder at bedtime, then flipping to a spoon to sleep; the "done" prayer before sleep; reading mail together at lunch; switching positions at the sink as we brush our teeth; leaving you notes;you sending me flowers; reading to you as we drive; greeting you at the door with an 8 second kiss; working together outside; going to church together early to set up, no words, just listening and preparing; watching NCIS; calling the kids; devotions at noon; making the bed together if we're both home; watching the animals; Zip's good night hug under your chin...I don't know who wrote, "Look to this day for it is life, the very life of life."

2 comments:

Carla J said...

Thanks CA for writing down your thoughts. I think these kinds of things about my relationship with Erik, but putting them into words isn't my specialty. See you soon!

The Reiffs said...

I don't know if you know how much the "life of your life" impacts your children. The simple, and complex, love that you and dad share is beyond a blessing for us. Thanks.