Friday, August 21, 2009

4 years ago we took Terra, Zach and family to their new home in Philadelphia. Terry drove with them and I flew with Spencer. We drove to what was to become their new home and I was devastated. No back yard! Almost no yard! Trashy streets! Hot and muggy! On a busy street! I racked my brain trying to come up with a way they could buy something else. I could hardly find a home with a back yard let alone one they could afford. The neighbors seemed scarey. We left our precious daughter, darling grandson and their protector, Zach in this place that seemed dangerous, filthy and beyond God's redemption. A few months later when I flew out for the birth of the twins I didn't feel much better. She had been unable to find a doctor who would take even her high risk pregnancy without insurance. Every time I flew away from that city that first year I watched the city as the airplane flew out of the smog and could not believe those I loved had to breath it, endure it. I was helpless to change anything. I cried until I got to the next stop.
As the years have passed I have seen God's miracle in this place was more perfect than I could imagine. God had placed her in a place where she was 1 block from a great library, a good mechanic at the end of the block, the wic office less than a block, a great hardware store within walking distance, close to the zoo, close to a place for Zach to catch the subway. A lovely lady called Debbie had instantly befriended her, helped her create date night, children's play time and a safe space for sharing her burdens and her children. She and Zach and the children have found amazing friendships, had unforgetable experiences and are, as I write, crying and grieving the loss of a place called Philly that they hate to leave.
Today I went on line to try to find cheap tickets so I could fly there to help Terra this next week in South Carolina. She will be in a new place alone with her children as Zach cannot leave Philly yet. She has not seen her house, known her neighbors, signed Spencer up for school which starts Monday. She will be clear across the US by herself with no visible support. I cannot find a flight I can afford. But, I have learned my lesson. God will do amazing things in her life this year. No matter the circumstances, I have a daughter who knows God's provision for her and trusts. She believes in prayer. She is obedient to God's will for her. She is strong and confident. She loves her children and knows how to take care of them. She knows how to get her perspective. She has a church community that supports each other. She will be fine.

No comments: