Monday, October 22, 2007

Having a daughter

Since I have just been with Terra, my mind is on her and on the gift of daughters. This relates to my growing up. In our family, there was a boy, Dennis Keith ( Aug. 6,1948; girl, Susan, Sept.20, 1949 and then me, Carol Ann, Jan 27, 1950. Then, for a long time there were boys: James Dale, Aug 15, 1952; Randy Lee, Sept 13, 1954; Kenneth Floyd, Nov.30, 1956; Kerry Lon, Sept 12, 1961; Brian Todd, March 21, 1963. Each time Mom went to the hospital we would be at Grandma and Grandpa Sacry's house and we'd get the call and it was another by and everyone would say, "Well, boys are nice." And they were not only nice, but adored! I came from a family that LOVED little kids. Babies were always a blessing. Mom looked her best when pregnant and Dad never treated her more sweetly than when she was pregnant. And they both delighted in children. My most wonderful memories were of the little kids. Our lives centered around the adorable things they said, the cute ways they looked, the hugs and kisses. This was true of our immediate family and also all of our extended family.
There did develop along the way, however, a great desire for another girl. So when I was 17 and Jim was 15 and we were in highschool Mom was going to have a c-section and it seemed the whole school knew it. The date was March 2, 1967. We were in study hall when over the intercom the secretary asked if Jim and Carol Ann Sacry would please come to the office. The study hall came alive and many started to go with us. The study hall teacher told everyone to sit back down and we rushed to the office. It was there we learned that Diane Marie was born! As we entered the hall (the bell had just rang) and the news spread. People were yelling, "Sacrys had a girl!" It was an unforgetable moment for us. That evening we went to the hospital to see her. She was a darling girl with lots of hair and beautiful LONG eyelashes. We were so proud.
I was thinking about that when I was with Terra last week. And, for the first time, I wondered if my excitement over her being a girl was connected to those years waiting for another Sacry girl? When I was pregnant with Terra I wanted a girl badly. I had wanted to start with 2 boys. I loved having Kerry and Brian as little brothers close in age and I wanted 2 sons like them. But I really wanted a girl too. One day when I was quietly praying, I felt sure that I was going to have a girl. Sure, but with a little doubt. Could it really be true? So, when, in the delivery room I found out that I had a girl, I was elated! I kept saying, "It's a girl! It's a girl! It's a girl!" Terry said, "I didn't know you wanted a girl so bad." I will never forget when they put her up on my stomach and she began nursing eagerly. I felt somehow complete.
And when Terra was able to have twin girls I also felt a part of something bigger. My Grandma Cora had twin girls aborted when the doctor told her she couldn't carry them without hurting herself. Cousin Carla had twin girls who died a week before their due date in her uterus. And my brother, Kerry had twin girls. I wanted her to have twin girls too. But it seemed too good to be true. It was a great joy to have that thrill for my daughter.

No comments: