Tuesday, September 20, 2011

When have I experienced the Generosity of God?

Oh Lord, as I look around at the harvest of fall I see your generosity: apples, squash, tomatoes, more.  I stand outside at night and wonder about the galaxies and how you made things so beautiful and perfect.  When I see the Sandhill Cranes fly or do their mating dance I smile and am in awe of You.  I wonder how the birds know to fly south and the squirrels know to build nests.  I watch the sunsets and am amazed by Your creativity.  I pick my Sweet Peas and the smell reminds me that you created life in a way that would bring us joy.  Each spring I am delighted by the perennials that surprise me in spite of their consistent return. The shapes in the clouds; the winds and the storms - all a part of your gifts to us.  I could fill a book with all you give so freely.
And even as I am aware of the generosity in creation I undersrand why the Psalmist says, "What is woman that you are mindful of her."
I come to You empty and beg for Your Spirit.  You faithfully fill me.
I ignore you and go about my life as though your existence didn't matter and when I remember to turn back to You, You receive me and bless me.
When my wanderings take me far from feeling You and my life becomes complicated, I come to You and You help me simplify and center.
I say to you, "Lord, I don't feel love for You.  You have become a duty to me. I don't even know how to make Love happen."  That very day You show me how.  You have someone give me a book, just the right one. You slow me down so I have eyes to see and ears to hear Your Love.  Your generosity amazes me.  Your love is better than life, better than all I have come to want or think I need.
In the darkness of the prison I have made for myself, You give light.  When all seems to fall down around me, Your presence makes it all worthwhile. I love You - help me to love you more - no matter what it takes.

No comments: