Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Grief

Tonight I was riding the lawn mower. A beautiful evening, just right temp. No mosquitoes. I wanted to praise God as I rode. I love to praise. But I couldn't. I wanted to say, "Thank you God for the green grass." Actually I said it but the words were dead. Just words. And immediately Mom came to mind. Intellectually I could see no reason for that connection. Not being able to praise and Mom. Am I mad at God? I don't think so. But there is a place inside me that seems to have died.
I thought I did so well at the family reunion. I didn't think of Mom much at all. I loved seeing everyone. It was so fun. Even when we went to her home and people were taking things I didn't feel very sad. Then I opened her coat closet. Grief surprised me like a bear jumping out from behind a bush.
Then I've been fine and yesterday on our way to meet a couple we're doing marriage prep with we passed Noodles and Wraps. I felt like someone was taking my throat and cutting off my breath. I had to consciously breathe. Images of Mom and I sitting across from each other sharing a wrap and a drink. I miss her so much.
I wonder if I treasured her then as much as she seemed to treasure me? I felt so treasured in her presence.
Sometimes I wonder if the pain will ever stop coming. Sometimes I don't want it to. I think I"m afraid if the pain stops, she will stop being near to me.
It's so conflicting. Grief. Good grief?

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Grief is a strange thing- it hits you when you least expect it. I think the thing that makes me the saddest is knowing that there will be a time when no one who is living will have known Nonie. Now it doesn't seem so bad because when we speak of her people can relate. They know why we care and why we miss her so much.
Nonie's death has seemed to bring me closer to the realities of living. Some of those realities I don't like much.....
Prayers are with you always.
Sandy