Friday, February 8, 2008

Tongue pain

Last week I went with Mom to my brother, Brian's junior high girls basketball game in the Cardwell school gym. Going there is definitely a nostalgia time for me. It looks so small now. During that time I used the restroom. They have rearranged it somewhat but it still had the same area where I spent so much time, especially as a girl "hang out" when I was in Junior high myself.
I had a few memories there - small ones but, evidently, big ones since I still recall their emotional impact on me.
It seemed as though one friend was always talking and we all were listening. She was rather strong in her opinions. One day as we gathered there,(Do girls still spend so much time visiting in the bathroom?) she said how great it was that older women like our mothers were now wearing pants instead of dresses. She made it sound like if you didn't change you were old fashioned and EVERYONE would be wearing pants now. I still remember the feeling of tears welling up in my eyes as I tried to control my anger towards her. I LOVED my beautiful mother in her dresses. I could feel the soft folds of my mother's dresses, holding on to them as a small child. It was as though my friend (yes, she was my friend and still is even though her words wounded me many times) were ripping out a precious part of my life. I thought, "It won't happen to MY mother. But I didn't say a thing.
Another time this same friend said, "That's why your Mother's dishrags stink. You have to rinse them out with cold water." Oh, was I angry! I stayed silent.
Another time we were all discussing the latest tv soap (don't remember which one). We had been following it and some lady was pregnant on the show. Each of us were offering our opinion on who was the father of the child. A dear, kind and sweet girl who had just moved to our community was very protected and innocent. She spoke up, "Well, I think, if she marries Joe, he will be the father. And if she marries Dan, he will be the father." We all broke up laughing. She had no idea why.
I wish I could quote right now all the scriptures about the pain inflicted by a tongue. (Or a laugh)
Whirling in my brain like snowflakes on a windy day,
Thoughts of moments, instances, seconds only, years ago,
Changing me forever. Influences.
Insignificant at the time to those near me.
Yet I was changed, and am yet, by words, looks, moments so small.
So large to my soul.
He said one word, chiding me.
She touched my hand.
She praised my voice.
He understood.
He thought I was less.
She stood up for me.
What will happen today that years later I will think of?
Or, maybe, never remember but is still embedded in my soul?
Let me walk gently today, listen and obey Your voice.
So I will not inflict pain on any.
Prayer, life changing prayer.
Walk by the Spirit. Lives will be changed today...

No comments: